DeBordieu Wildlife













My parents moved to DeBordieu when I was eight years old. Of course like any kid, I was always excited to see deer, beavers, otters, bald eagles, and other wild creatures. I am proud to say that we see more of these wonderful animals today than in years past. DeBordieu is uniquely sandwiched between two large parcels of land. Hobcaw Baruch is to our south and Arcadia Plantation to our north. These properties along with DeBordieu's protected land hold quite a large amount of wildlife. I hope to elaborate more on each of these properties in future posts.

I certainly must mention the North Inlet estuary system. This vast expanse of marsh, creeks, oyster bays, and sand bars also hold an abundant amount of bird and wildlife.

Comments

  1. We live on the marsh and we put lights up on our pier. We ended up attracting a bunch of mite like insects that swam like fish - that were white, with redish/orange with a little blue. Any idea what these are? Do fish like them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    I would assume that fish would like the white,redish/orange and blue creatures that you saw in your lights. Smaller fish/minnows would likely feed on them, therefore attracting bigger fish that would eat the fish/minnows...creating your own little food chain.
    Those mite like looking insects may be larvae from shrimp or fish.
    I have fished under lights before. It can be very productive. You never know what might show up under lights when placed in a creek, river, or the ocean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment