Fishing North Inlet and Catching a Banded Bird with Video












I was on a fishing trip late August here in DeBordieu's neighboring North Inlet. Fishing was pretty good. It certainly was a beautiful day.

We caught fish while sea gulls and terns flew over head trying to catch some of the baitfish that the larger fish below were chasing. There were lots of birds around. Sometimes they might get tangled in a fishing line. Sometimes they even dive down and grab your fishing lure. That is exactly what happened on this day. I caught a Royal Tern. It was not harmed. I reeled it in. Carefully grabbed it (it was not happy about that and did all it could to try to bite me). The hook was remarkably hooked into one of its nostrils, so it easily and safely slid out. It was banded, so I get the numbers from the band and then let it go. It flew off strongly.
I called in to the reporting phone number on the band. The center was glad to know that they got a report for the bird, and that is was released safely.



The certificate below was sent to me.

We were a little too busy to get a pitcure of the bird prior to release!






Comments

Post a Comment