CEOTalk: Family First- Family Time in the Lowcountry


The article below is written by a good friend of mine, an old room mate, Fletcher White. We stay in touch, but we certainly do not see each other frequently enough.
I am fortunate to live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina at DeBordieu. Fletcher lives in Victor, Idaho, just over the Teton Pass is Jackson Hole, WY. We both happen to live in beautiful places with amazing natural resources.




I love his message below. Family time is important to me. I grew up spending lots of time with my parents and siblings. I am doing the same with my kids.
Living in DeBordieu makes it easy to spend time with my wife and kids. And as Fletcher mentions below, "I remembered what it was like to be a kid again... I soon realized...that they have the formula to eliminating stress and making the daily grind of adult life disappear. All I had to do was let go, open my eyes, and listen to all they had to teach me. I was truly amazed at their happiness and open view of the world."
Way to go, Fletch-hope to see you soon!

CEOTalk: Family First. / ProTalk

This entry was posted on November 11, 2013 by Fletcher White.



It is so easy to get caught up in the BS life has to throw at you. The bills, work, employees, getting the car serviced, maintaining virtual and personal friendships, returning phone calls, emails, texts, going to the grocery store. ARRRRHHHH!!!

This weekend I even tried to sneak in an elk hunt the morning of my son's 3rd birthday. Why? Because I am feeling the pressure to get the freezer filled with enough meat to feed my family of 5 for the year. After talking to my wife on my way home, unsuccessful at finding any elk, I found out that “the family” was headed out for a hike without me. At that moment I was hit with an emotional punch in my stomach. What am I doing? Why was I not home that morning making pancakes, laughing with my kids, and jamming to some great music on my son's 3rd birthday.


I rushed home, changed clothes, loaded up in the family mini-van and headed out for a beautiful hike with the kids, wife, and even grandma. While hiking through melting snow and mud I was overwhelmed with the curiosity my children had for the natural world around us, how every rock, tree, plant, bird, and noise had some fascinating secret attached to it. My son Emmett, the birthday boy, constantly pointed to every mountain, hill and valley asking, “is that a good place for hunting Elk, daddy?” Then before I could answer in my “Oh So” authoritative voice, Emmett would draw my attention to a grasshopper leaping down the hill away from us. As I walked with my kids, we talked about school, friends, family, politics, business, global warming, nature and life. I began to quiet myself and started to see the moment through their eyes. I remembered what it was like to be a kid again. It filled me with thoughts and emotions of hunting with my father, skiing with my mom and exploring the world with my brother as children. I soon realized, as we strolled along, that these little guys really are the secret to mental peace, that they have the formula to eliminating stress and making the daily grind of adult life disappear. All I had to do was let go, open my eyes, and listen to all they had to teach me. I was truly amazed at their happiness and open view of the world.



As holidays approach and the stress of money and delivering presents builds, I urge everyone, kids or not, to take a walk someplace new. Close your eyes and listen to the world around you. let your child, children, or inner child guide every step you take. See the world around you as a new place with hope, passion, and mystery.

I promise that you will be a better person for taking this time and ultimately contribute to the happiness of those around you.

Wishing you all well,

Fletcher White, Founder & CEO

This entry was posted in Latest from our CEO and tagged outdoors, hiking, pro guide direct, family, Hunting on November 11, 2013 by Fletcher White.

Comments