Myrtle Beach - Courses DeBordieu Golf Course Review


Brian Noblin of Myrtle Beach Golf Talk played a few local courses and DeBordieu recently. His comments and review can be seen below. 
We are lucky to have such great golf in the area and to have a wonderful golf course right here at DeBordieu!

Played several courses this past week for our stay at the beach for the 4th.

River Club (6/29) - Started the week off with River Club in Pawleys Island. Tee boxes and fairways were in good shape. Ball rolled fine off the tee. Greens were in decent shape after being punched about 1 week prior...still a little bumpy w/ sand but to be expected. A few things I wasn't happy with here - it was 100+ degrees outside, and the grill was completely closed by 5pm. There was no option to buy and drinks which was a little disappointing. I understood that late in the day there was no cart girl driving around, but the combo of those 2 was disappointing. Pace of play was fine, no surprise there with the temperature and time of day. Our group was not overly excited about the layout of this course, but were happy with the rate we received compared to quality of course.

TPC of Myrtle Beach (7/30) - Woke up to hear the first statement on the radio being "record highs in Myrtle Beach, this is going to be a scorcher folks". My goodness...heat index of 110 by 9am! My friends and I played in the Red, White, and Blue tournament they had last week, and it was a lot of fun...besides the heat! The course was in excellent shape, and everyone loved the layout. Our group, 4 Poles 1 Hole, shot 18 under and we were still 6 shots away from the winner! I guess when you have 8 mulligans and 4 throws per team, combined with your choice of 6 holes from red, 6 holes from white, and 6 holes from blue, scores are going to be really low in the tournament! Had a blast, and the tournament was great. Would recommend to everyone next year if its not as hot as hell's basement again.

Witch (6/4) - Played another late afternoon round here with my father in law. I love this course...love the layout and the different type of shots you can create out at the Witch! Conditions were great...tee boxes were in great shape as were the fairways. My only complaint for this particular day were how hairy the greens were. I've played the Witch several times and I can't remember ever coming away with a complaint about their greens...but on this particular afternoon they were very hairy, and thus very slow. Hopefully this was just a one-day thing, and it would not deter me from returning to play again or recommend the course to others. Pace of play was great being that we were pretty close to being the only ones out on the course that afternoon!

Debordieu (6/5) - Let me start by saying it was an absolute treat to play this course. I'm lucky enough to have a good friend that is a member out here and was invited to play with him and his brother-in-law last week. Debordieu was a course I had been trying to play for quite some time, and I finally was able to check it off the bucket list. I've played nearly 50 courses at the beach so far, and this was most certainly at the top of my list in terms of conditions and scenery. Course was in immaculate shape, and it was difficult! The wind is all over the place, and changes nearly every hole. It is a true Pete Dye design, with random pot bunkers everywhere. The tee boxes, fairways, and greens were maintained extremely well. This course made you pay for wayward tee shots, and I found myself punching out more than a few times. Holes 17 and 18 are fantastic finishing holes, and we were fortunate to be playing them downwind. I hear they can be a monster with the wind against you!

DeBordieu's 17th Green and 18th Island Tee Box
Caledonia (6/7) - Top public course at the beach without a doubt. This was my second time playing Caledonia, and it certainly lives up to its reputation. We had a morning tee time, and pace of play was excellent. For some reason this day was very slow for them, so for nearly the entire front 9 it was just my father-in-law and myself on the course. Noone in front or behind us. Conditions were excellent...tee boxes, fairways, rough, greens were in great shape. The greens and fairways in particular here are the best at the beach in my opinion. There are not many other courses in Myrtle where the conditions and the scenery are as good as it gets...but w/ Caledonia that is definitely the case. The greens rolled great and were very receptive. Would absolutely recommend anyone to play this course with upcoming trips to the beach.


Thanks,

Derek

Comments

  1. Hi thanks for sharing the Courses DeBordieu Golf Course Review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this info regarding golf courses or golf balls for slice. It's Highly Informative for beginners like me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment