Webcams: Lowcountry Wildlife: Wood Ducks and Blue Birds

I often feel blessed when relaxing on my porch and observing the activity just outside of my home. Several wood duck pairs have been in and out of the pond that is about 100 yards away. Four weeks ago a hen wood duck came swimming out from under some bushes. I noticed something around her. I grabbed my binoculars and saw several little fluff ball ducklings 10-12 of them.
I also recently noticed a nest in a pine tree across the fairway (I live on the golf course hole #3). Obviously this is a big nest being able to see it from a distance. I thought it might be some of our local bald eagles. I finally saw that a pair of redtailed hawks were building the nest.
I have continued to watch it and just this week saw the small heads of two baby hawks.
This bird life is in addition to the deer that we see daily (including the piebald deer:..see a picture I took of it to the right).
If you have read any of this blog before, you know that I enjoy all of the wildlife our area offers.
I recently discovered the two webcams below that the North Inlet-Winyah Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve host.
The blue birds have already hatched but have not left the nest.
The wood duck is sitting on her eggs that should hatch any day now.


Hobcaw Barony Discovery Center Bluebird Box Camera
Enjoy peeks at bluebird nesting activity in a box equipped with a camera and solar panel near the Hobcaw Barony Discovery Center. Click here to go to the live video stream*.
blue bird camera
Blue Bird Box and Webcam


Kimbel Pond Wood Duck Box Camera
Enjoy remotely viewing a wood duck nesting in a box near a pond on Hobcaw Barony. This nest box is equipped with a camera and solar panel. The camera switches from daylight to infrared mode when natural light is low – hence, the images appear pink at night or on overcast days. (photo of box/solar panel) Click here to go to the live video stream*.
blue bird camera
Wood Duck Box and Webcam

Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. Beautifully created. The photos gives the real inspiration and lesson to read for the lovely nature for whom we are alive in this world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment